Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The A-Team (Joe Carnahan, 2010)

I've been putting off writing about this one because I honestly have no idea what to say. I was very drunk by the time I got to watching it, which you would think would help in the case of a dumb action movie remake of a terrible '80s television show, but being drunk appears to make me more difficult to please instead of less. My attention wanders more frequently, leading me to blame the movie for not keeping me drawn in and fixated. This causes me to look for things I don't like.

With A-Team it's not all that difficult. Three of the four leads have a kind of charm to them -- equal to if not better than the original cast members if you ask me (whoever plays Murdock is the one out, but it's tough to blame that on the actor -- it's just that the crazy guy archetype is a terrible one), but it doesn't make up for mostly unconvincing and poorly staged action. There's an overreliance on unconvincing CGI that mostly does the movie in, giving the feeling of tinkertoys more than anything real. I don't mind CGI, for the most part, but it takes a lot of effort to give something nonexistent the right kind of weight in the real world. The A-Team fails, especially with its crazy shipyard explosions at the finale. It's a great idea, actually, but never amounts to feeling like anybody is in real danger (and they aren't).

No comments:

Post a Comment